Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Back to life . . .






Wow, what a full two weeks since we've been home! Tons of visits from family and friends, Dermatology & Doctors appointments, Dentist & Eye appointments, first visit to the theater, church, starting school, playdates, Mother's Day, etc! These are just a few of the things that have been keeping me from posting since we've been home. The other big reason is that I just don't have words for any of it. I don't have words to express what my eyes saw and my heart felt in Ethiopia. I don't have words for how much I loved all the other children we got to know and had to leave behind. I don't have words for how wonderful Lydia and Biniam are. I was changed from the inside out and I just don't know how to let everyone know.

Frankly, right now - as passionate as I am, I'm afraid of coming across righteous or judgemental because what I want to say to people I love, friends and even strangers on the street is "COME ON - I KNOW YOU HAVE AN EXTRA BED (and you're supposed to be a Christian)......DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA THAT THERE'S A KID OUT THERE WAITING FOR YOU?" "DO YOU REALLY NEED THAT MERCEDES? WOULDN'T YOU RATHER GIVE A BEAUTIFULLY WONDERFUL, GOD CREATED CHILD A LOVING HOME?" "WAKE UP....SOMEONE NEEDS YOU TO BE THEIR MOM AND DAD!" "KIDS ARE GOING TO DIE IF WE DON'T HELP." It is really something I think about all the time. I recently wrote my family about our adventure and told them that Todd and I are "ruined". They questioned my choice of word as sounding negative. Well, to some extent it is. We are ruined...our idea of life as we knew it is over. Our easy, care free existence is no longer! Now we are scarred forever by what we saw and we are burdened by what we know is truth - there are millions and millions of children who are hurting and desperate for parents like Todd and me. That's hard to think about every day and know I am powerless to do anything about it. The only power I have is my voice and I'm afraid to use it. I'm afraid to push people away with my conviction. This "conviction thing" is something that is new for me and I'm working on how to deal with it gracefully! Friends, family......please bare with me ok!

Now, on to Lydia & Biniam! I don't really think if Todd and I got to hand pick two kids we could have done better! They are so great.....easy going, fun, silly, smart and tender. I have been fearful to post about this too, out of fear that I'm going to "jinx" it! Things really couldn't be more blissful. I just keep reminding myself to remember these days when the hard days come - which I'm sure they will.

The other surprise is that watching Katie and Jack with the kids has made me love them more - I really didn't think that was possible, but it's true! It's brought out the very best in their hearts and souls. I truly believe they are the big winners in this adoption thing. I shutter to think of all the lessons and faithful growing opportunities they would have missed out on without this experience.

I can say hands down that this has already enriched our lives as a family more than our entire life experiences combined.

Amy

8 comments:

  1. Amy - BRAVO!

    You just did what you fear the most - you were a voice for the voiceless. I too have been wrecked by what my eyes have seen 7 times through our adoptions. My heart this last trip to bring Lilly home ruined me too. There is no earthly treasure worth more than a child redeemed by their Savior. There is no greater reward than knowing you said Yes to GOD and He will bless your socks off in ways you never knew He would.

    I'm so happy for you all and praising God for the ways He has shown you all that this plan is His plan for everyone who calls themselves a child of the Most High God. Whether they adopt or not - we are ALL to take care of the widows and orphans. Voice for the voiceless and doers of His word. Time to wake-up church - before it is too late and you stand before Your Maker!

    I'm thrilled the children are doing so well - I love it! God is so amazing how He hands picks the perfect children for us all of the time!

    Now can I share your post on my adoption blog?

    Love and hugs,
    Jill
    PS Lilly would love to say hello to Lydia. Let me know when you are OK with that or if you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Amy. It is much easier to turn a blind eye to the plight of the orphan than to put our faith into action. I appreciate your candor and I hope that your passion will light a fire under others who have it in their power to make a difference in the life of a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Amy I am so happy for your whole family. I constantly want to say the same things to people too and I haven't even gone to pick my girls up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Amy! I have been following your blog for some time now and am glad to hear how everyone is doing. I am with the same agency and we just returned on May 5. Anyway, just wanted to give you my 5 cent. I don't think you have to necessarily jinx yourself, it could easily be that your kids are just amazing except for the grieving eventually. I think there is a reason when traveling parents or/and volunteers give great reports. My first 2 are home for 1.5 years and have done exceptionally well. Everyone looks just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH!!! Thanks so much for posting the photos and blog entry. After practically developing carpal tunnel syndrom from hitting the key every day to check your blog, I am thrilled to see a post!!! :-) I love happy stories with older children. Keep posting the stories and photos. It is also great to hear about school. That is my biggest fear with getting a child who can be school age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope things are still going ok... OR BETTER than ok. :-) I just always wonder how those two are adjusting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Checking in to see how the transition is going. We are at one and a half years now. Feel free to contact me for support!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am writing to ask for your permission to include your posts on
    AdoptionExperiences.com and include a link to your blog in our
    directory. We would
    include a link back to your blog fully crediting you for your work
    along with a profile about you listed on AdoptionExperiences.com .
    Please let us
    know as soon as possible.

    Mike@adoptionexperiences.com

    Mike Thomas
    Editor-in-Chief
    AdoptionExperiences.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers